- Hair of the Dog 5k
- Mud In Your Eye XC Series
- Virginia Duathlon
- Dismal Swamp Stomp
- Suffolk 10 Miler & 5K
- Blue Talon Bistro Turkey Trot
- Carter Gunn Memorial 8K
Can I get a ChampionChip?
Of course, please email Ann for complete details.
What is a ChampionChip?
A ChampionChip is a miniature transponder in a specially designed plastic housing. This device contains a chip in combination with an energizing coil. These elements are encased in a waterproof glass capsule, meaning the ChampionChip can be used under all conditions (wet, dry, cold and hot).
The ChampionChip can be worn in different ways. For running races, the ChampionChip is attached to the runner's shoelace. In triathlons it is attached to an ankle bracelet.
There are no batteries in the ChampionChip. The transponder is passive until moved into a magnetic field, generated by a send antenna. Here the energizing coil produces an electric current to power the chip. The transponder then transmits its unique identification number to a receive antenna. The whole procedure takes approximately 60 milliseconds and is repeated continuously.
How does the ChampionChip System work?
The send and receive antennas are cast in thin tartan mats. These antenna mats are placed at the finish line and other timing locations. They are connected to a Yellow Box at the side of the road, containing electronics and batteries. Each time an athlete wearing a ChampionChip crosses the mats, the chip gets energized and sends out its ID-number. This number and corresponding time are then stored in the Yellow Box and transferred to a timing computer for further processing.
Advantages for Event Organizers
- Fast and accurate results
- High level service by providing net times and splits for every individual participant
- Split time services for press, TV and Internet
- Free flowing finish line (no chutes, less building up and taking down material)
- Check points along the course
- High quality service for event organizers and participants
- Working with a high-tech and easy to use timing system
- Collection of more data than ever before
- Possibility for real-time online services to speaker, press, TV and Internet
- Multipurpose utility: the system can be used in many different sports events and in many different set-ups
Advantages for Participants
- Fast and accurate results at each event
- Net times; the ChampionChip can register every individual
- start time, even when participants are at the back of the pack Split times, transition splits for triathlons, lap times
- Free flowing finish, no more restricted space at the finish
- A personal ChampionChip can be used all around the world in many sports like running, triathlon, cycling, mountain biking, in-line skating, cross-country skiing